SAMBA digest 2003

Paul Sherwin psherwin at telinco.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 16:43:37 GMT 1999

At 21:57 02/03/99 +1100, you wrote:
>From: "Dave Walton" <walton at emusic.com>
[snip]
>1.  Files or directories in a share are visible.
>2.  Files or directories in an all-uppercase subdirectory of the share
>are visible.
>3.  Lowercase or mixed-case subdirectories of the share appear to
>be empty.
>4.  All-uppercase files can be opened.
>5.  Lowercase or mixed-case files cannot be opened, and Win95
>complains that the file is not found.
>6.  Exception to #5:  At a DOS prompt, lowercase and mixed-case
>files can be opened, but ONLY if the case is typed correctly.  (This
>does not help with directory access.)
>
>My setup has:
>
>  case sensitive = no
>  preserve case = yes
>  short preserve case = yes

You clearly have a case conversion problem. Samba is observing case when
opening files, which it shouldn't for W95. I don't know anything relevant
that has changed in Samba 2.0 but I suggest you check your smb.conf very
carefully for a duplicate 'case sensitive' statement (it's easily done,
I've done it...) - Samba may be parsing the file differently.

Best regards, Paul

Paul Sherwin Consulting
22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK
Phone +44 (0)1865 721438