NT Domain and Samba as a PDC

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Mar 3 15:23:54 GMT 1999

Paul L. Lussier wrote:

> What I'd like to do is slowly sneak away from them by
> implementing a Samba PDC and creating my own domain here.

Just a standard disclaimer.  The PDC support is not official
yet.  Be warned and be careful.

> My question is, is it easier to set up a real WinNT server to
> be the PDC and have accounts on it, and have Samba authenticate
> against that, or, would it be easier to begin creating
> Unix accounts for everyone and just have Samba authenticate
> against NIS.  Obviously my preference is the later :)

You have to use encrypted paswords for the PDC support.

> My concerns however, are password changing/aging, etc. and
> the use of user profiles.  I have John's book, but that
> was written around 1.9.18 and doesn't include the PDC stuff
> in 2.0.x.

My advice is to read the NT Domain FAQ linked off the Samba
web site under documentation and to join the samba-ntdom
mailing list (see http://samba.org/listproc for instructions
on this).

> I haven't downloaded the 2.0.x stuff yet.  Are the docs
> that come with it sufficient to get me where I need/want to
> go today :)  Or should I wait for the O'Reilly book due
> out rsn.

Three books due out soon (late April i think for all).

* O'Reilly book
* New Riders book
* Sams Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours

Can't speak to the content of the first two, but since I wrote
a lot of the material for the last book, I can make references
about it.

Two chapters in particular you may be interested in.

* One is specifically on the **experimental** PDC support

* The other is how to replace an existing NT file and
  print server (including usergs and group access lists)
  using Samba 2's security = domain option.

Hope this helps,
jerry
SAMBA team
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter