NT Domain and Samba as a PDC

Paul L. Lussier plussier at baynetworks.com
Wed Mar 3 14:31:38 GMT 1999

Hi all,

I'm currently battling with my Corp. IS group over NT domain administration.
I admin a mostly Unix environment with a lot of WinXX clients.  The
authentication server is owned by "Corporate" (you know, that nameless,
faceless entity that always makes do stupid things because
"That's the policy"  :) and I have no control over it.

What I'd like to do is slowly sneak away from them by implementing a Samba
PDC and creating my own domain here.  My question is, is it easier to set
up a real WinNT server to be the PDC and have accounts on it, and have
Samba authenticate against that, or, would it be easier to begin creating
Unix accounts for everyone and just have Samba authenticate against
NIS.  Obviously my preference is the later :)

My concerns however, are password changing/aging, etc. and the use of user
profiles.  I have John's book, but that was written around 1.9.18 and doesn't
include the PDC stuff in 2.0.x.

I haven't downloaded the 2.0.x stuff yet.  Are the docs that come with it
sufficient to get me where I need/want to go today :)  Or should I wait for
the O'Reilly book due out rsn.

Any opinions, ideas, pointers to docs, etc. are quite welcome :)

Thanks,

--

Seeya,
Paul
plussier at baynetworks.com
Broadband Technology Division - Bay Networks (now a Nortel Company, Eh? :)