Problems with samba and FreeBSD 3.x

Andrew Broughton ajb at seadora.com
Wed Mar 3 14:32:56 GMT 1999

I upgraded a FreeBSD 2.2.7 machine to 3.1, but left the samba binaries
alone. Every thing still works. Then, I upgraded samba to 2.2.3 and
complied it on the FreeBSD 3.1 machine. Now samba seems to run ok (no
errors in samba logs) except logins do not work either from a win95 machine
or directly using smbclient. The only error message is in the syslog as
show below :

smbd: no modules loaded for `samba' service

I reinstalled the 2.2.2 binaries from backup and it all worked again. I
complied 2.2.3 on a FreeBSD 2.2.8 machine and that works fine. Could this
be something to do with the new elf binary format? Does anybody have any
ideas?

Andrew Broughton