Not happy campers

Dave Walton walton at emusic.com
Wed Mar 3 05:47:01 GMT 1999

On 3 Mar 99, at 11:54, Stephen L Arnold wrote:

> I'm not sure what to tell you guys, other than it works for me (and
> I bet you really hate hearing that ;-)

You know, I really hate hearing that.  :)

> All I can say is that
> pretty much every problem I've had with samba/windoze clients have
> been due to one or more of the following:
>
> 1) My own ignorance (a big one)

If that's the problem in my case, I'd sure love to be enlightened!

> 2) Flaky hardware/network configuration

2 servers running v1.9.18, Win95 clients work with both.
Server 1 upgraded to v2.0.2, server 2 left alone.
Win95 clients now work with server 2, but not server 1.
Only one thing changed in the network config...

> 3) Broken M$ client stuff/stupid defaults

Well, that's a basic assumption.  :)

> I only have experience with small LANs and 1.9.18p8 & p10 (I
> haven't tried 2.x yet; it's on my list of things to do, along with
> about a million other things...)

Ah, I'm afraid that voids your "it works for me".  I never had a
problem with v1.9.18.  You might want to be very careful when
trying out v2.x...  (Be sure to let me know how it goes.)

> I have one or two suggestions anyway (see below).

Suggestions are always welcome, as I've used up all of my own
ideas.  :(

> And Dave Walton says:
>
> > 1.  Files or directories in a share are visible.
> > 2.  Files or directories in an all-uppercase subdirectory of the
> > share are visible. 3.  Lowercase or mixed-case subdirectories of the
> > share appear to be empty. 4.  All-uppercase files can be opened. 5.
> > Lowercase or mixed-case files cannot be opened, and Win95 complains
> > that the file is not found. 6.  Exception to #5:  At a DOS prompt,
> > lowercase and mixed-case files can be opened, but ONLY if the case
> > is typed correctly.  (This does not help with directory access.)
>
> Things that work at the DOS prompt but not in explorer usually
> point to name resolution or browsing problems (your above case
> settings look okay).

It's not name resolution or browsing.  I can see the servers and
shares fine.  It looks as if Win95 (or explorer, anyway) is
uppercasing directory and file names, but Samba's case-
insensitivity code isn't working right.  On the other hand, I can't get
into non-uppercase directories from the DOS prompt, even when
typed correctly, so it isn't just that.

> Also, when moving from 1.9.x to 2.x, some of
> the defaults changed (at least if you expect the same behavior) so
> you can't just use the same smb.conf file (do read the changes doc
> in the 2.x package).

I looked through there and played with all relevent settings.  No joy.

> Here's a short list of gotchas I've run into:
>
> File access problems -> win95 RWIN setting needed "adjusting".

Hello?  This sounds interesting.  Please elaborate.

> I'll be glad to try and muddy the waters a little more if you can
> give some more details on your problems.

Can it get any muddier?  Anyway, the file and directory browsing
description quoted above is pretty much the meat of it.  But here's
another twist -- I now have three machines running Samba:

v1.9.18 on FreeBSD 2.2.6 -> Win95 works.
v2.0.2 (upgraded from v1.9.18) on FreeBSD 2.2.6 -> Win95 broken.
v2.0.2 (fresh install) on FreeBSD 3.0 -> Win95 works.

Any FreeBSD people out there able to shed some light on this?

I suspect my best bet at this point is to wait until I build a new
FreeBSD 3.1 box to replace the 2.2.6 boxes and see what
happens.  Maybe the whole problem will just vanish...

Dave