Printing to AIX 4.2.0

Thomas L. Harris tomh at iglobal.net
Wed Mar 3 00:32:51 GMT 1999

We have just began to use Samba 2.0.2 on an AIX 4.2.0 system.  Having
some trouble with printing.  I am able to print to printers listed in
the /etc/qconfig file from Windows95 or NT.  But it seems that the
"print command" parameter does not work.  It is ignored by AIX I guess.
My printer is a HP Laser Jet 4000 with a Jet Direct card configured as a
Jet Direct Printer in AIX.  I have set the AIX queue as a "pass through"
so that AIX will not try to do any processing on the Windows print job.
As stated, printing works except for an unwanted "banner page" and
"blank trailer page" that AIX produces.  I bypassed the AIX queue and
printed from Windows to a file in AIX.  Then printed the file using
"qprt".  It printed just fine without the extra pages.  I used "qprt" in
the print command = parameter with no success.
Has anybody had any issues like these with AIX printing?

Thanks

Tom Harris
Denton CAD
tomh at iglobal.net