Re-exporting NFS filesystem in Samba

Stuart Young sgy at amc.com.au
Mon Mar 1 22:27:04 GMT 1999

At 04:16 2/03/99 +1100, Roberto Köhler wrote:

>I am running Samba 2.0.0 for AIX 4.3. When I share a local filesystem,
>the response time of Samba shares is OK, close enought in our network to
>NFS mounted fs. But when I share a NFS mounted filesystem (mounted from
>another AIX 3.2.5 host), the Samba response time for file reads if very
>poor, 3 to 4 times larger than NFS mounted fs in the PC. it doesn't
>matter the file size, neither the number of files in the fs.
>
>Has anyone got such a problem ?

Have you tried the response time for NFS mounting the same share as you do
with Samba? I think you'll find its almost as slow. Re-exporting an
external file system puts a fair load on all sorts of things, mainly
network interfaces and the file I/O handlers.

Q. I seem to have terrible slowness for any data coming OUT of AIX (4.3.2).
This actually applies to all network traffic, not just Samba, and it's
usually 1/10th the speed it can recieve the data at. Any ideas? Mebbe
somewhat related? I might just have a buggy network port, but it's annoying
the heck out of me.

Stuart Young - sgy at amc.com.au - cefiar at amarok.glasswings.com.au
(aka Cefiar) - http://amarok.glasswings.com.au/

[All opinions expressed in the above message are my]
[own and not necessarily the views of my employer..]