smbprint and smbtar

Leo Crombach lcrombach at tropel.com
Mon Mar 1 19:37:42 GMT 1999

Samba Masters:

I have two questions for the list regarding smbprint and smbtar.

First, I have been able to send output to a printer attached to a Windows 95
machine from a Solaris 2.6 box with Samba 2.0.2 and smbprint.sysv.  However,
the printer does not feed the page out after it is done printing.  I have to
turn the printer off and on in order to get the page.  What control
character do I need to send to the printer to have it feed the page out
after printing and how would I incorporate this into the smbprint.sysv
script?

Question number two.  I would like to use smbtar to backup an NT server that
we have on our network.  This would be a redundant backup to the software
that we have installed on the machine for backups (Seagate Backup Exec).
Does anyone have a good example of using smbtar to backup an NT server
machine and, more importantly, has anyone had the experience of restoring
and NT server from a smbtar backup.  If so, did it work well?  What
procedure did you use?

Thanks