OT ECC Memory (WAS: Large uptime)

Denis Sbragion sbragion.denis at usa.net
Mon Mar 1 10:02:05 GMT 1999

Hello,

At 01.49 26/02/99 +1100, Hall, Ken (ECCS) wrote:
>Granted ECC should be more reliable over the long term, but how long is
>that?
>Next time I speak to my associate I'll ask him about this and see what his
>experience has been.  He does Windoze and Netware almost exclusively so he
>deals with a lot more of this kind of stuff than I do.

well, I believe you. May be it's the opposite of what I said, i.e. I've
been unluck and the memory I used was more faulty than the average. Anyway
it's sure I had problems getting long uptimes on all the servers without
ECC I installed, except one. This means 8 servers out of 9 (8 Linux, 1 NT
SP4). May be I've been *really* unluck. This things can be tracked only
with good statistics, and 9 servers isn't a good one. The data I have
anyway seems to agree with the '1 bit a month report'... uuuhhhmmm, things
going a little crazy here! Anybody out there has reliable data about this
subject? I know it's completely off topic but I think server reliability is
an important issue for Samba.

Bye!

	Sbragion Denis
	InfoTecna