Samba 2.0.3 SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 and Shadow files

Kevin W. Reed soldo at telesys.tnet.com
Mon Mar 1 03:22:26 GMT 1999

Basically I've found that the 2.0.3 version of Samba is not
supporting shadowed password files on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2.  It appears
to be doing it on SCO Unix OSR5 however.  This shows up both in smbd
and swat.

We found this out by playing with the newest version on a SCO Unix
OSR5 box.  I recompiled the software on that box for a SCO 3.2v4.2
box but was unable to get the resulting binary to work on the 3.2
box.

However, before I found this out, I played with the Swat (which was
compiled on the OSR5 system for 3.2) interface to see how it would
react to one of our systems existing configuration files (Nicely by
the way...)...

Then I tried to have a win box connect to the server as before and
found that the password was always denied.  Turning on debugging to
full blast, I couldn't figure out what the problem was...

In the process, I recompiled the whole package on a 3.2 box and
updated all the resulting binaries to see if that would make the smbd
work properly...

Then I found that Swat wouldn't work.  This gave me a clue... so I
turned off shadow passwords and lo and behold, everything works....

Anyone have a clue where to look for a fix on this.... Must have
shadow passwords on the systems this is being installed on...

Anyone knows where I can find a 2.0.2 version I will try that out...
I removed the copy when the 2.0.3 version came out as I really hadn't
done much with it yet.  Still running 1.9.18p10 on most systems which
does work with shadow passwords.

--
Kevin W. Reed                           TNET Services - MAILBOT.COM