How to backup from Win to Linux using smb

Glenn Burkhardt glenn at aoi.ultranet.com
Wed Jun 30 13:16:23 GMT 1999

> I have big problem: I need to automaticaly copy files from Win'pc to Linux
> server.

I submitted this one to the mailing list awhile back, but I've made some
improvements, so here it is again.
We have cron run a script every night that backs up all the systems (Win and
Unix) to a single tape.  Naturally, the tape capacity needs to be large enough
for all the systems involved.  The HP 4mm DAT DDS-3 tapes with 12 gb (before
compression) capacity work nicely for us.  We also do incrementals on most
of the Unix systems, and avoid making copies of program files on the Win
systems.

Here's the script: