NTFS File Compression (PR#18351)

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Tue Jun 29 17:22:07 GMT 1999

rsanborn at ew.elan.af.mil wrote:

> Does Samba support NTFS file/volume compression?  We have an NT-based
> application that processes numerous large files.  We would like to compress
> the files, but if we use gzip on the Unix side, it will drastically degrade
> the performance (random access becomes sequential searches).  On a native NT
> volume, we can use NTFS compression to compress the files and then
> uncompress them on the fly.  Is this option available for volumes that Samba
> shares to NT?

This isn't really something that Samba should do (IMHO) as
the implementor of just the remote access protocol, it's more a
kernel/filesystem property (as it is in NT).

I believe that there is a compressing file system available
for Linux - the best choice would be to use this on the
filesystem that Samba is sharing out.

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.