Linux can't telnet to WFW 3.11

Benjamin Scott bscott at hamptonsys.com
Tue Jun 29 16:30:58 GMT 1999

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Ulung Pribadi wrote:
> My server is RH 5.2 and i use Samba 1.9.18p10 and the client use WFW 3.11
> with tcp/ip protocols installed. The subnet and the IP Address is right
> but I still only telnet form WFW 3.11 to Linux...not the reverse.

  That is because all versions of Microsoft Windows can only be accessed from
the local console.  Microsoft's idea of "remote access" gives you file and
printer access only.  While there are third-party programs which attempt to
emulate this essential functionality, they do not work very well.  This is one
of the biggest problems I (and many others) have with Windows.  I'm afraid the
only good solution is to use a real operating system.

  Some third party solutions include Symantec's PCanywhere, Citrix WinFrame
(which Microsoft licensed for their Windows Terminal Server), and

Benjamin Scott <bscott at hamptonsys.com>          Phone: (603)431-7315
Hampton Systems Group, Inc.                     Fax  : (603)431-0822
http://www.hamptonsys.com                       DSN  : 852-3581