Smbmount with networked windows system backups

Paul L. Lussier plussier at baynetworks.com
Mon Jun 28 15:49:39 GMT 1999

In a message dated: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 01:33:32 +1000
"Keith G. Murphy" said:

>April Escamilla wrote:
>>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>>         I am trying to automate the backups at my office, and am running
>> into trouble with the windows machines.  I have used the smbmount command to
>> mount the windows systems onto our RedHat Linux 6.0 box.  I can verify that
>> they are indeed mounted successfully.
>>     I have a copy of BRU, which is an excellent piece of backup software.
>> Ideally, I would like to use BRU to back up our entire network.  But when I
>> did a few trial runs with BRU and the aforementioned smbmounted windows
>> systems,they never completely backed up.  BRU tech support suggested working
>> with the smbmount to see if that would help.
>>     I am wondering if anyone out there backsup an smbmounted windows system.
>> Are there some extra arguments that one sends to smbmount in order to allow
>> for this?  Does anyone out there perhaps use BRU to backup an smbmounted
>> system?  Any thoughts, ideas, comments or wisdom would be greatly
>> appreciated...

I recommend looking into a combination of amanda and samba to perform your
backups.  It seems to work quite nicely, the support from the amanda mailing
list is fantastic, and it's a great open source product.

Another thing you might consider doing is setting up a Samba server and
having users map a drive to a Unix home directory and having them store all
their data there.  If they do this, and keep nothing but applications
installed on their local PCs, you don't need to back up the PCs.  This will
save you a lot of time, effort, and bandwidth.

While you're at it, replace your NT servers with Samba servers :)

Hope that helps.
--

Seeya,
Paul

Broadband Technology Division - Bay Networks (now a Nortel Company, Eh? :)