NT User Account Locked Out By Samba

todd.rosenthal at ac.com todd.rosenthal at ac.com
Sun Jun 27 14:47:42 GMT 1999

I am currently using Samba on several unix servers, and have numerous users
accessing them from NT workstation machines. I have my samba security set equal
to DOMAIN. And I have successfully added the unix servers to the domain and
created the domain accounts. The problem I have is not a constant problem, but
it is a major inconvenience. Sometimes, when a user attempts to access the samba
share, instead of gaining access to it, their NT account gets locked out. It
seems like samba is making 3 attempts to authenticate the user with the NT
domain, which for some reason is failing,  and then the account is getting
locked out. Often unlocking calling the NT administrator to unlock the account
and waiting several minutes will clear up this problem for the user. Other
times, the user also needs to reboot before they can access the share. I have
not been able to find any kind of pattern in when this problem occurs.

I have seen previous posts to this list with similar problems, but I have not
seen any replies or solutions. Does anyone know of the cause or a solution for
this problem. If more info is needed about my particular setup, or problem, let
me know. Thanks for the help.

-Todd  Rosenthal
todd.rosenthal at ac.com