Backup problem too with Seagate BackupExec

Franck Buland franck.buland at hyperoffice.fr
Mon Jun 28 10:30:25 GMT 1999

Hi,

I'm searching for 2 months on this problem (I've searched in the archive
of course and I've sent a message on this mailing list, the suggestions
had helped me but I didn't manage to resolve the problem).

The problem:
------------
I've got Samba 2.0.2 on a Linux Red Hat 5.2 and a server NT4 SP3 with
Seagate BackupExec 7.0.
When I want to backup Samba with Seagate BackupExec, I get a message
saying "A device specific error occured" and another saying "Unable to
connect to server, <F5> to retry".

I upgraded with the Seagate BackupExec 7.2 evaluation for test, but I
got
exactly the same problem.
I do not think it's a basic connection problem, I configure access to
the
share for guest user. I had also tried with security=user and
security=server.

But I can access and word on the share with Windows 95, Windows 98 and
Windows NT 4 clients.

Analysis:
---------
Here is the log file corresponding to the problem:

[1999/06/28 13:13:10, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(320)
  serveur logged in as admin user (root privileges)
[1999/06/28 13:13:10, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection(488)
  serveur (192.168.0.10) connect to service test as user user_ho
(uid=506, gid=507) (pid 1152)
[1999/06/28 13:13:10, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(514)
  serveur (192.168.0.10) closed connection to service test

IMPORTANT => We can see that the connexion to the share "test" is closed
just after the connexion, but I do not know why.

Here is the smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = HYPEROFFICE
server string = Samba Server
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = False
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
guest account = guestsamba
max log size = 50
guest ok = yes
read only = yes
password server = SERVEUR
security = SERVER
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
dns proxy = no

[test]
comment = Share test
path = /home/test
writable = yes
public = yes
force user = user_ho
create mask = 0766
admin users = serveur, backup, BackupExec
guest ok = True
map archive = True
printable = no

Another strange thing, that may be linked because it involve archive
status on files:
I've added to the SMB.CONF:
map archive = true
create mask = 0766

But when I put the property Archive with Windows NT, no status Archive
is put for the file.
If I use chmod u+x on this file, and when I see it in the Windows
Explorer,
I see the status Archive. But when I want to see it with the Property
dialog on Windows, the case Archive is not checked, and the status
Archive is retired, without I changed anything!

However, it works find with Windows 95 and Windows 98.
Strange...

Thank you for any suggestions.

Franck BULAND - HyperOffice SA
Tél: 01.41.96.96.75