security = server & encrypted passwords

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sun Jun 27 18:23:08 GMT 1999

On 27 Jun 99, "Johann Zuschlag" <jozuschlag at online.de> had this to
say about Re: security = server & encrypted passwords:

> Someone asked:
>
> >I'm running 2.0.3 with auth being handled by an NT PDC.  It seems that
> >some Win95 clients (namely those with later releases of the OS) have
> >problems authenticating.  I've got encrypt passwords = yes but it still
> >seems only the old Win95 clients (clear text passwords) can auth without
> >problems.
>
> >Can someone shed some light on this for me?
>
> Well, its like this:
>
> Win95 responds with clear text passwords when the server asks
> for clear text passwords. Win95 responds with encrypted passwords
> when the server asks for encrypted passwords.
>
> Win98 will respond with encrypted passwords only. It won't
> except clear text password requests. (Unless you change the
> registry.)
>
> So if you have got encrypted passwords = yes, Win95 will respond
> with encrypted passwords only, since the server, i.e. Samba, asks
> for it.
>
> I don't know the later fixpacks for Win95. At least the first
> one still allows clear text passwords, though I wouldn't use it.
> You haven't changed the registry of these newer releases? Maybe
> they work like Win98. So if you change the registry to clear text
> password nothing would work.

Win95 with the vredir update will require the same reg hack to
enable PlainText passwords.  See here for M$ update info(win98 too):

http://www.walbeehm.com/win95upd.html

However, if an NT PDC is doing the authentication, it shouldn't
matter what the samba setting is (encrypted vs. plaintext).  I
don't have access to NT server to check this.  What's the
version/service pack of the PDC?  Maybe Jerry needs to chime in
here...

Steve