ATTN Jamie Thompson: Authentication Issues

Ashvin Mysore ashvin at babylonia.flatirons.org
Sun Jun 27 07:46:33 GMT 1999

I was having the exact same problem, where the NT4 box complains, "The
client is not authorized to login  from this station." or something to
that effect. The problem is that the Samba machine is not set up to use
encrypted passwords, and NT requires them by default. You can either
change a setting in the NT registry, making it allow clear-text logins,
or you can set up your Samba box to use encrypted passwords.

I found it easy (and probably more secure) to set up the Samba box to
use encrypted passwords. In your /etc/smb.conf, insert a line (in the
[global] section):

encrypt passwords = yes

You will then have to use the command "smbpasswd -a USERNAME PASSWORD"
at the command line to add users to Samba's encrypted password file.

Instructions on how to edit the entry are available in Samba Digest
2145, if you choose to make it work that way.

Hope that helps!

--
------------------------------

A s h v i n  M y s o r e

Netscape (4.0+) Website: http://ashvin.flatirons.org/
Netscape Enhanced EMail: ashvin at babylonia.flatirons.org

"Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be
another. It changed the future, and it changed us. It taught us that we
had to create the future, or others will do it for us. It showed us that
we have to care for each other, because if we don't, who will? And that
strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely of places. Mostly,
though, I think it gave us hope that there can always be new beginnings,
even for people like us. As for Delenn, every morning for as long as she
lived, Delenn got up before dawn and watched the sun come up..."
 -- Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5, _Sleeping in Light_