Help please: error connecting to samba (failed to initialise shar e modes)

Matt Magoffin (Borders Online) mmagoffi at borders.com
Sun Jun 27 02:29:32 GMT 1999

I'm still having this problem, and need to address this asap! The problem
arose when I upgraded LinuxPPC from R4 to R5 (wow has this upgrade been a
headache!).

I've been getting this error when clients attempt to connect (or when using
smbclient to connect to myself). testparm passes OK, and smbd and nmbd
launch OK, but when a client attempts to connect I get the following error
messages (in the log):

locking/shmem.c:smb_shm_open(930)
ERROR smb_shm_open : mmap failed with code Invalid argument

locking/locking.c:locking_init(169)
ERROR: Failed to initialize share modes!

I've been trying to get this working for a week or so now, anybody have any
suggestions?

Thanks... -- M@

   < <  <   senor mateo
            borders.com jefe interactivo