SAMBA digest 2141

Tony De tonydm at viser.net
Fri Jun 25 11:29:52 GMT 1999

Greetings,

I've been a lurker on this list for some time.  Mostly to soak up some of
the knowledge to found here.  I've finally got around to having the hardware
and such to really jump in (server, gateway, etc) with linux.  I've got a
couple of questions maybe someone would be kind enough to clear up for me.
They may be simplistic, but I'm drawing a blank here.

I'm trying to plan out a network with Linux rather than Win NT or Novell
which I'm mostly familiar with. I've got five win95/98 pc's. My question are
concerning the use of a deskjet 695c, officejet, and an hardware print
server (such as an Intel Netport).  I want to implement a Linux server
running samba.

Question 1: Is it possible to use these printers and if so, how do I
configure them i.e. drivers, etc. I have looked over several books and the
sections regarding printers and printing are all pretty vague. Most of the
printers shown in any of the illustrations or lists (books recently
published) show relatively old printers, i.e. LJII/III/IV etc, etc.

Question 2: Regarding the print server. I would also like to use this. On a
NT or Novell server no problem. I can't find any discussion on this in any
of the books or web sites I've looked at.

Any help and comments you have would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Tony Dm