Using Amanda + Samba to backup NT4 servers?

Paul L. Lussier plussier at baynetworks.com
Thu Jun 24 21:18:18 GMT 1999

Hi all,

Has anyone used amanda in combination with samba to back up an NT4 server
system?

I'm able to connect to the server with both smbclient and smbtar on the
command line, but I can't get amanda to connect.  Supposedly amanda uses
smbclient and smbtar to perform the backups.

I'm continually getting the following error from amcheck:

ERROR: amanda: [PC SHARE //servername/share access error: host down or invalid password?]

I've mailed the amanda list about this, but so far no solutions have come
through.  Other people on that list are in fact successfully doing this, but I
can't seem to get it to work for me.  I'm hoping someone here has some ideas.

Thanks,
--

Seeya,
Paul

Broadband Technology Division - Bay Networks (now a Nortel Company, Eh? :)