BSDI 4.0.1 Samba 2.0.4b Performance Problems???

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Thu Jun 24 12:24:42 GMT 1999

You wrote:
| During the operation we tried to copy a 3.5MB file from the NT Server
to the
| Samba/Unix box.  It took about 20 seconds.
|
| During the operation we tried to copy a 3.5MB file from a different NT
| Server on the same network to the Samba/Unix box, same share, and it
took
| less 2 seconds.

	While your major concern was the speed of copying many small files,
	this one test with a larger file indicates a real problem: you
	shouldn't see a power-of-ten speed difference between NT and Samba.
	You shouldn't even see a power-of-two (except perhaps in Samba's
	favor (;-))

	Look at tuning the common case first, and try to distinguish
	between TCP and Samba tuning: start by comparing ftp speeds
	between the boxes.

	Feel free to send mail: I'm curious.

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb