Passwords and NT

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Sun Jun 20 21:24:37 GMT 1999

Chad Thunberg wrote:

> I have hacked the windows registries to enable clear
> text passwords across the lan.  The problem is
> when you log into the NT workstation, you have to
> re-enter the password to connect to samba shares
> even though the initial login password is the same
> as the samba password.  The windows 9x clients do not
> have this issue when remounting shares when you log in.
> We run a variety of different samba servers and
> becomes increasingly annoying when you have to enter the same
> password 10 times when logging into the NT box after
> rebooting (which is done often for obvious reasons).
> Any help would be appreciated.

Windows NT will not transmit the plain text password
automatically to any SMB server.  Thus the password prompt.
However, the exception to this is when a user is logging on
and NT is connecting the user's home directory.

Also it is good to remember that validation to a server
in user level security is only necessary for the first
resource conneciton.  For example,

	net use h: \\server1\homes
	password prompt:
	the command completed successfully.