password problems on upgrade to 2.0.4

Glenn Burkhardt glenn at aoi.ultranet.com
Sun Jun 20 18:45:56 GMT 1999

> I just upgraded to samba 2.0.4b from 1.9.18 on OSF/1 V 4.0

> Everything used to work fine in 1.9, and everything works fine now, except
> that one of our users can't connect to anything from Windows NT.  I've also
> tried to use smbclient from her Unix account, and get the error:
>
> >smbclient \\\\clang\\public
> >Added interface ip=128.104.25.251 bcast=128.104.25.255 nmask=255.255.255.128
> >Password:
> >session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
> in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

I think you need to specify the username with -U now - by default smclient
in the new release converts it to uppercase.  The man page from smbclient now
read:

        If no username is supplied, it will default to an  upper-
        case  version of the environment variable USER or LOGNAME
        in that order.  If no username is  supplied  and  neither
        environment variable exists the user name will be empty.

I would rather have it leave the case alone....