Problem with Samba: "The account is not authorized to login from this

Levent Gündogdu levon at feature-it.de
Sat Jun 19 19:45:16 GMT 1999

Hi Asvhin!

Puh! I`m getting tired to answer the same questions all the time. How about
putting together a
FAQ and post it regularly to this list?

Well, Samba uses clear text passwords by default. There are two ways to fix
this:
the first, more simple way, is to enable clear text passwords of all
clients. Use
the NT4_PlainPassword.reg file, which resides in the docs directory of your
samba distribution. After a reboot, all NT machines should be able to
use shares (and home directories) of the server with security = user.

The second way is to enable encrypted passwords with samba. I`m using
Samba 2.0.4 to accomplish this. You also need to add each users password
via "smbpasswd -a [user] [password]" (without the quotes) to make samba
store the password hashes.

Hope it helps. (Please put this into the FAQ, I`ve answered this many
times... Thanks.)

Bye,
 Levent.