Can a router be a local master browser in a NT domain?

Johan Meiring jjm at iname.com
Sat Jun 19 13:29:21 GMT 1999

Hi,

It should not be neccesary to setup samba at all (which probably makes this
the wrong list to publish the answer :-), but seing as the question was
asked here (and the question is samba related))

I have a very similar setup:

+-------------+      +-------------------+   +-----------------+
+   a.b.c.d   +      +                   +   +  192.168.1.x    +
+             +      +    linux          +   +                 +
+ real world  +------+    router         +---+  private IP's   +
+     I.P's   +      +                   +   +                 +
+  PDC, BDC   +      +                   +   + 95 workstations +
+-------------+      +--------+----------+   +-----------------+

                          Internet

-  The a.b.c.d (Real IPs) as well as the 192.168.1.x (Private IPs) use the
Linux router as default GW

-  The ipfwadm / ipchains rules are set up as follows:

   Rule 1:  192.168.1.x  --->  a.b.c.d  (forward WITHOUT masquerading)
   Rule 2:  192.168.1.x  --->  0.0.0.0  (forward WITH masquerading)

Rule 1 needs to be BEFORE rule two two ensure that communication to NT
severs are not masqueraded.  Because NT servers also use linux as default GW
they can reach 192.168 private IPs.

On the local network, the networks can both see each other without
masquerading.  i.e.  the 95's will select their own browse master and as
long as you have a wins server on your PDC/BDC side, everyting works.

The 95's will only be masqueraded if they try to contact the internet.

If you need copies of routing table/ipchains script.  Please email me.

Johan