Passwords and NT

Glenn Burkhardt glenn at aoi.ultranet.com
Fri Jun 18 21:23:50 GMT 1999

> I have searched the archives and the internet and found nothing on this
> topic but I know it's a known issue.  Second I would like to say this has
> nothing to do with NTDOM.
>
> I am running a samba server 2.0.0 on a freebsd box.  I am connecting to the
> server using windows 9x and NT clients.  I have hacked the windows
> registries to enable clear text passwords across the lan.  The problem is
> when you log into the NT workstation, you have to re-enter the password to
> connect to samba shares even though the initial login password is the same
> as the samba password.  The windows 9x clients do not have this issue when
> remounting shares when you log in.  We run a variety of different samba
> servers and becomes increasingly annoying when you have to enter the same
> password 10 times when logging into the NT box after rebooting (which is
> done often for obvious reasons).  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> -Chad

We have the same problem.  We're running:

Samba 2.0.4b with "security = user", and public access to printers disabled.
             on SunOS 4.1.4

WinNT 4.0 Workstation sp5

There's also a related problem for accessing printers - until a disk share
is "logged onto" on the system that serves the printer, printer connections
are refused.  It all works fine after an initial connection is made to a
disk share.

Everything works fine from Win95 boxes using the same servers.

We prefer to disable public access to the printers - this makes the user the
owner of the print job on the Unix box, and the user can remove the job from
the queue without bothering the system administrator (me!).

I have also searched the archives, and found three similar complaints:

Daniel Grandjean, 30 Apr 1998, Printing from NT4  public=no
Sean Murphy, 28 Jan 1998, NT Printing woes
James Strauch, 17 Dec 1998, Samba Printing Question

but, alas, there were no responses in the archives.  I've also noticed that
it seems to be the habit of list members not to send responses to questions
to the mailing list  :-(

Thanks in advance for any help....