Problem with Samba: "The account is not authorized to login from this station"

Ashvin Mysore ashvin at babylonia.flatirons.org
Fri Jun 18 07:30:43 GMT 1999

I am having a problem configuring Samba to work with my NT mahcines. I
can see the linux server from my NT machines. Under security=user, when
I attempt to browse the linux machine's shares, it asks for a username
and password, and then fails, telling me "The account is not authorized
to login from this station." If I set security = share, I can browse the
shares, but when I try and open my home directory, it gives me the same
error. All this is using the default smb.conf (that came with RedHat
5.1) except for a change in the workgroup name.

Ideas?

--
------------------------------

A s h v i n  M y s o r e

Netscape (4.0+) Website: http://ashvin.flatirons.org/
Netscape Enhanced EMail: ashvin at babylonia.flatirons.org

"Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be
another. It changed the future, and it changed us. It taught us that we
had to create the future, or others will do it for us. It showed us that
we have to care for each other, because if we don't, who will? And that
strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely of places. Mostly,
though, I think it gave us hope that there can always be new beginnings,
even for people like us. As for Delenn, every morning for as long as she
lived, Delenn got up before dawn and watched the sun come up..."
 -- Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5, _Sleeping in Light_