Can a router be a local master browser in a NT domain?

Bernhard Riegel (sdm) Bernhard.Riegel at sdm.de
Fri Jun 18 06:27:52 GMT 1999

Can a router between two subnets (call it A and B) be the local master
browser of the one subnet (net A) in a NT domain, when the Domain Master
Browser (as well as PDC and BDC) are located in the other subnet (B)?
Will say, does the Domain Master Browser of a NT domain accept a Local
Master Browser in the same subnet (as the router is accessed from B via
the interface ethB)?

The reason for my question is as follows:
I want to setup Samba on a router (linux), which connects two subnets A
and B, where B is an official subnet and A has IP addresses of the
private namespace. The router masquerades the private IP's.
The existing NT domain in B should be also accessible for NT clients in
subnet A. For this reason I want samba to act as a local master browser
for net A and to exchange browselists with the domain master browser in
net B. Netbios nameresolution will be done via WINS.
Domain Master Browser, PDC, WINS etc. are running on WinNT4.0 (SP3 or
higher).

If anyone has already setup Samba (2.0) to be a local master browser
(without producing errors in the logfiles of the domain master browser),
an example for smb.conf would be nice.

Thank You for any suggestion.

Bernhard

--