hp laserjet 5l through SMB.

John Barbee jbarbee at singular.com
Wed Jun 16 21:29:06 GMT 1999

Hi,
  I have Samba 1.9.18p10 running on FreeBSD 2.2.8.  I have an HP LaserJet
5L printer attached via my parallel port.

This is the section of the printcap for that printer.

scribe|Daves HP LaserJet 5L:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/scribe:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :if=/usr/local/libexec/magicfilter/ljet4l-filter:

I'm using magicfilter for the input filter.

In smb.conf I have this for the printer section.

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes

I'm able to select "scribe" my explorer and can try and add it, however,
the workstations say "The server on which the printer resides does not have
a suitable NULL printer driver installed." and I'm prompted to install a
driver on the workstation.

Is this what I must do?  Is there any way for me to use this printer like
printer that are connect to our NT machines?

john.