concept behind password sync

Todd Johnson tj at monmouth.com
Wed Jun 16 18:18:35 GMT 1999

I want to synchronize passwords.  Ie. when a user changes his/her NT
password, I want the changes to get pushed through to Unix.  As a Samba
newbie I'm confused by the following VERY BASIC concept:

<display ignorance>

If a user (on an NT client) decides to disconnect from all Samba shares
prior to changing his/her password via ctrl-alt-del, I assume the Samba
server will not have anyway of knowing about the change.  Therefore
subsequent connections to Samba will require the old (non-changed) password.
Does this mean that in order for password synch-ing to work I have to rely
on users having active Samba connections when they make their password
changes?

</display ignorance>

TJ