can't smbmount samba share

Marc Haber Marc.Haber-lists at gmx.de
Tue Jun 15 17:43:41 GMT 1999

Hi!

I have a new machine on a network:

kemmer: New Linux box (kernel 2.0.36. Samba 1.9.18p10)
torres: old Linux box (kernel 2.0.36. Samba 1.9.18p10)
janeway: Windows NT 4.0 SP4.

torres and janeway are performing flawlessly, I can access both
machine's shares from the other one.

kemmer is new and can't access DNS yet. Thus, I have to use the -I
switch to smbclient and smbmount to access shares from kemmer and
torres.

kemmer can:
- access shares on janeway via smbmount and smbclient
- access shares on torres via smbclient.

However, accessing shares on torres via smbmount doesn't work. The
error message is "smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready ==
NULL", "Mount error: Invalid Argument", "Please look at smbmount's
manual page for possible reasons".

The manual page (including the referred man pages for smbclient and
smbmnt and /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/smbfs.txt) don't
offer any help in debugging this.

User name and password seem to be ok (as I can use them with
smbclient), so is smbmount (as janeway shares can be smbmounted).

When an attempt to smbmount a torres share fails, torres doesn't log
anything.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Greetings
Marc