SAMBA digest 2130

Brian Bender bbender at vocollect.com
Tue Jun 15 14:04:55 GMT 1999

Chuck,

How about adding your Samba boxes to the NT domain and using
"security=domain" instead of "security=server".  You just list your PDC and
BDCs on the line after that, "password server = PDC BDC BDC BDC ...".  And
you'll need "encrypt passwords = yes".  You add the Samba box to the domain
with "smbpasswd -j vocollect" while SMBD is not running (after creating the
domain acct. with servermgr).  I never ran 2.0.2, but I know this works on
2.0.3 and 2.0.4b.

Set up like this, I can hit my Samba boxes with the NT Server Administrator
repeatedly with no problems.  Some functionality isn't implemented
("replication", for example), but servermgr just reports "an RPC error
occurred" and continues gracefully.  This works with at least NT4 SP4 and
SP5 Server Manager.

As far as those other two tools, I can't say for sure, but it might just be
taking a long time for them to time out (and also may be the root of your
passwd accounts being locked out) since the Samba machines aren't in the
domain.  Once you do the above, they may just fail & return right away (hey,
a guy can hope, can't he? <g>)...

 - Brian Bender
   Sr. Software Engineer
   Vocollect, Inc.
   Pittsburgh, PA

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:46:55 -0500
> From: Chuck Berg <chberg5 at collins.rockwell.com>
> Sub: Samba causing problems with NT tools
>
> Samba is causing a couple huge problems for the NT admins
> here since we
> switched a bunch of machines to security=server and started
> running nmbd.
> We're running Samba 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 on a mix of Solaris,
> HP-UX, and OSF1
> machines.
>
> One, selecting a Samba server in Server Manager, then
> selecting Computer/
> Services causes Server Manager to crash ("An application error has
> occurred, blah blah, Exception: access violation, blah blah"). I've
> duplicated this on several NT workstations, running SP3, 4,
> and 5. This is
<snip>

> Two, they have some tools that touch each machine on the
> network (pulled
> from the browse list, I suppose). They do things like read
> registry values,
> check for installed software, or whatever it is that NT machines do
<snip>
> programs run through all the servers, it takes far longer on the Samba
> severs than any of the NT servers (5-10 vs <1 second). Yes, with the
> number of machines we have, this is really a problem.
>
> There's another, even more serious, problem that I can no
<snip>
> tools, their accounts were getting locked by NT for too many invalid
> password attempts (with Samba at the same time logging that
<snip>