Subnet Browsing, Halfway There

Michal Jezierski heja at xox.pl
Mon Jun 14 13:26:53 GMT 1999

Steve Meisner wrote:

> I have a network which consists of two subnets, each with a linux server
> providing Samba services.  With the configuration listed below, I have
> successfully achieved Subnet B being able to browse Subnet A but, Subnet
> A cannot browse Subnet B (sharename not found).  Is it a Samba
> configuration issue or is it DNS?  (I have it fixed if I put an
> /etc/lmhosts file on Linux Server A that has the host names and IP
> addresses of Subnet B).

You have WINS, and if configured properly, this is not the problem with
DNS.

> LAN A (10.1.1.*) <---->10.1.1.1<--->| Linux Server A |<--->10.1.2.2<---> LAN B (10.1.2.*) <--->| Linux Server B |
>
>         workgroup = W2WENGR
>         remote announce = 10.1.2.255
>         remote browse sync = 10.1.2.255
>
>         workgroup = TECSTAR
>         remote announce = 10.1.1.255
>         remote browse sync = 10.1.1.255

You shall put the workgroup name of the other server in remote announce
parameter
(e.g. remote announce = 10.1.1.255/W2WENGR, or the other way round), and
put both subnets in remote browse sync. There are other possibilities, I
think, but your setup will definitely not work.

Hope this helps.

Michal