SAMBA digest 2127

Michel michel at nyenrode.nl
Mon Jun 14 08:45:16 GMT 1999

In your mail from 12-6-1999 you write:

> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 17:55:39 +0800
> From: tbsky_lee at notes.unicap.com.tw
> To: samba at samba.org
> Subject: Again! need undelete function !!!
>

> Today our Novell file server attacked by the virus "Explore worm".
>   many word & excel & powerpoint files are deletetd and the file size
> become 0.
>  with novell's utility, it is just easy to recover the deleted files.
> although the same
> files is deleted several times, we can find the original back.
> >From long time ago, we are  trying to use samba instead of novell.
> the powerful undelete function is the only reason that we still use novell
> today.
> and we are right. with samba, we will get big trouble today.
> we just need a trash can to put the deleted files and a crontab to empty
> the
> trash can.
> Mabe samba can add this ability in the future?
> thanks for reply !

Actually I wrote a hack for this functionality myself about a year back;
it was simply a matter of rewriting the unlink() routine, so that not only
would it keep a copy of a file before being deleted, but also
keep several revisions of the file.

If interested, I'm sure I can dig up the code somewhere...

Michel.