HP-UX 10.20 Trusted Systems (SAMBA digest 2126)

Dirk De Wachter Dirk.DeWachter at rug.ac.be
Fri Jun 11 16:41:37 GMT 1999

>      Hello,
>         We are running HP-UX 10.20 trusted systems and Samba 1.9.18p2.
>      Samba is not authenticating the user password from the /etc/passwd
>      file because the passwords are not encrypted in this file.
>
>         Does anyone have an idea on how to get around this issue?  One
>      option could be smbpasswd, but the SAs are not happy with this option.

Dear Joe,

How about trying the new Samba 2.04b? This version should
automagically detect at './configure' time that shadow passwords
should be used. I cannot confirm this really, as I'm using a domain
server for passwords and otherwise the smbpasswd.

Best regards,

Dirk De Wachter
Hydraulics Laboratory, University of Gent, Belgium