DESKTOP.INI amd & DNS puzzle

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Thu Jun 10 21:19:13 GMT 1999

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Simon Barnes wrote:

> Two reasons.  Firstly, you can't place a file at the root of
> an automount point (it isn't a real directory).

Actually, you can. It IS a real directory, it's just unavailable to anyone
but the automounter (when it is running). You can kill the
automounter (/etc/init.d/autofs stop) and go crazy in there. I do that on
my Solaris box where I have a host with heirarchical mounts (which
automountd handles poorly) which I mount from vfstab at boot, then start
the automounter to mount the rest of the machines as needed.

> Secondly, Windows uses desktop.ini to support web-enabled
> desktops and there could be different data in each directory.
> So the search would go on even it found a file, unfortunately.

Win98 may still do that...

I still say sharing the root of a UNIX machine is bad practice.

                                [Darrin]

--
"I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious." - A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753