DESKTOP.INI amd & DNS puzzle

Simon Barnes barnes at gatwick.Geco-Prakla.slb.com
Thu Jun 10 09:10:52 GMT 1999

>This situation can cause problems on Solaris 2.6 and higher also. If
/ is
>shared out by Samba and a client opens /home, all home directories
>will be automounted because Explorer looks for desktop.ini in each of
>the home directories. In our case that's 5400 mounts. Has anybody
>else run into this situation and come up with a way to avoid all the
mounts?

You can switch off browsable automount points in Solaris
by adding "nobrowse" to the list of options in the mount map.
Of course, this removes a useful feature which works efficiently
in its own environment.

What one would really like is a way of configuring Windows _not_
to search every neighbouring sub-directory for desktop.ini.
With any share containing many sub-directories this must
impose a considerable burden on the server.

Simon