DESKTOP.INI amd & DNS puzzle

Michael G. Hudgell em97mgh at brunel.ac.uk
Wed Jun 9 00:04:47 GMT 1999

well desktop.ini is the file windows uses to detect what is in the directory
and is used, for example, by the briefcase to tell windows it is not an
ordinary folder.

When implementing a shell namespace extension:

"You can also use a directory as your junction point. If your operating
system supports long file names, you can use the CLSID of your namespace
extension as the file extension of a folder (MyFolder.{20D....}. Otherwise,
you can create a directory, change its file attributes to read-only, and
place a file called Desktop.ini in it. This simple text file is made up of
the following:

[.ShellClassInfo]

CLSID={clsid}
"

No idea why /proc is searched when a share is R/O and not rooted at /, but
the above should explain why the others are looked up in a root R/O share,
which perhaps you have?

The help file I am reading appears to IE4.01+, I don't know whether this is
default behaviour for an default WIN32 install.