DESKTOP.INI amd & DNS puzzle

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Tue Jun 8 21:30:04 GMT 1999

Samba is not at fault. I have seen this with NFS.

Client: Win95a with FTP Software's Interdrive95 PCNFS client
Server: Sun E4500, Solaris 2.6 with no smb services of any kind.

When attempting to mount exported filesystems, I have seen Windows look
for DESKTOP.INI in hundreds of places (and cases) before finally giving up
and moving on.

I don't know what this file is or what is is supposed to do, but your
problem is not with Samba.

Sounds to me like your fix is to not mount the root directory of the
fileserver. That seems dangerous even to a lazy-ish admin like me ;)

                                [Darrin]

--
"I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious." - A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753