PAM support (retracted)

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sun Jun 6 01:19:51 GMT 1999

Howdy all:

Thanks to Jerry Carter for correcting some of my earlier babbling.

And thanks to Stephen Langasek <vorlon at netexpress.net> and "Sean E.
Millichamp" <sean at compu-aid.com> for setting the record straight on
PAM support:

> I said (without checking first):

> > PAM should already be installed on *any* linux distribution (it's
> > standard on linux and solaris).  I've never heard of PAM_NTdom,
> > but you can find PAM docs on the Sun support site, as well as in
> > your linux /usr/doc tree.
>
> This is by no means the case.  PAM is originally the work of Sun
> Microsystems, and there is an XSSO spec; it was only a couple of
> years ago that RedHat became the first Linux distro to support it by
> means of the Linux-PAM package.  Since then, several other distros
> have moved toward accepting it, but I don't know that any of them
> recommend, let alone enforce, the use of PAM on their systems.

It's been so long since I played with debian or slackware that I
started to forget how different RedHat is (in some ways) from other
linux distributions.  Sorry for posting without thinking.  But I
think it's been more than a "couple of years" for RedHat's PAM
stuff; I'm sure it was there when I started with RedHat 2.1 (I
think).

PAM is definitely standard on RedHat (and on derivatives like
Mandrake) and solaris (since Sun came up with it in the first
place).

At least I got some of you more knowledgeable folks to speak up and
correct me (I suppose it's better for the rest of the audience than
no responses at all :).

I'll have to watch myself from now on (at least when I get my
network back up I'll have access to the server docs and be able to
test some of these things again).

Regards, Steve