Does mksmbpasswd.sh have any real purpose?

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sun Jun 6 01:01:55 GMT 1999

On 5 Jun 99, Gerald Carter had this to say about Re: Does
mksmbpasswd.sh have any real purpose?:

> I wrote:
> >
> > manually using (what else) smbpasswd.  Or you can set:
> > unix passwd sync = yes
> > and use the standard passwd command instead.
>
> Nope.  This only has relevance when issuing a password
> change request from a Windows client.

Oops <grin> my mistake (again).  I was just pulling stuff (some of
which I've never tried myself) off the top of my head (because I
haven't finished running cable to the back room and I can't get to
my server :(

Thanks again for paying attention.

> > Or you can run:
> > update encrypted = yes
> > encrypted = no
> > and let each user login normally.  Once each user's password has
> > been added to /etc/smbpasswd you switch to
> > update encrypted = no
> > encrypted = yes
> > and there you go.
>
> This is correct.
>
> Seems like we have a long conversation today.  Hope you
> don't mind.

Nope.  See above

Steve