samba and dual homed machines

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sat Jun 5 05:02:47 GMT 1999

On 5 Jun 99, Nico De Ranter <nico at sonycom.com> had questions about
samba and dual homed machines:

> I'm trying to install an ATM network that will contain my
> NT clients and UNIX servers. When I do tests with FTP between
> NT and UNIX over ATM the results show a big improvement.  However,
> once I start using samba performance goes down like a rock.
> It turns out that when using samba.  The traffic from NT to
> UNIX will go over ATM, while the traffic from UNIX to NT still
> goes over Ethernet.  No matter what I do I can't convince samba
> to use ATM.

I assume you specified the ATM interface in smb.conf?  With two (or
more) ethernet interfaces, samba binds to the first one (ie, eth0)
without any interface parameter in the smb.conf file.  If you want
samba to see more than one, you must specify them explicitly.  If
that doesn't work, is there some way to get the ATM interface to
look like eth0?

That's all I could think of - Steve

Steve Arnold                          sarnold at earthling.net
The salesman said "This machine requires Windows 95, NT, or
better."   The only thing I could think of was Linux.