Newbie question

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sat Jun 5 03:58:06 GMT 1999

On 5 Jun 99, "Robert Aldridge" <RALDRIDG at gulf-states.com> had
questions about Newbie question:

[snip]
> [global]
>
> # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
>     workgroup = LIS
>
> # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
>     server string = Samba Server
>
> # This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
> # connections to machines which are on your local network. The
> # following example restricts access to two C class networks and
> # the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
> # the smb.conf man page
> ;   hosts allow = 10.10.50.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think you need to set this for your network and the loopback
address.

> # if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
> # than setting them up individually then you'll need this
>     printcap name = /etc/printcap
>     load printers = yes
>
> # It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
> # yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
> # bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
> ;   printing = bsd
>
> # Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
> # otherwise the user "nobody" is used
>   guest account = pcguest
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
try setting this to either nobody or ftp.

[snip]
> # DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
> # via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
> # this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
>     dns proxy = yes
>     guest account = pcguest
>     encrypt passwords = no
>     password level = 0
>     preferred master = no
>     os level = 0
>     null passwords = yes
>     dead time = 0
>     debug level = 0
>     domain master = no
I'm not sure how samba handles multiple definitions of the same
parameter, so I'd be a little careful here.

Steve Arnold                            sarnold at earthling.net
                                 http://www.rain.org/~sarnold
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons.  You should
also recycle yourself.  Become an organ donor 8-)