printing problem

khoogc at singnet.com.sg khoogc at singnet.com.sg
Thu Jun 3 12:18:01 GMT 1999

Help, I cannot get printing to work and am running out of ideas.  File
serving is OK.

server is RedHat 5.2/samba-1.9.18p10 with HP lasejet 4L connected to the
printing port
client is a windows3.1 with Lanman 2.2.

When I try to print from Word in windows3.1, I get an error :-

			LPT1

Windows cannot write to this file. The disk may be full. Delete
any unwanted file, and then try again

If I then go to Printman -->Network connections, I get the error:-

	WINFILE caused a General Protection Fault
	in module NETAPI.DLL at 003.1B0C

and Printman will then quit.

In smb.conf, I have for printing as

[prn]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

Changing writable to yes doesn't doesn't work either..

/etc/printcap is set from printtool and have /var/spool/samba as the spool
directory.

One more thing, sometimes I find a file lpqxxxxxx in /tmp which contains
the line lpq : prn : unknown printer

Thanks
Richard KHOO Guan Chen