Win 9x and WinNT Clients connecting to Samba-Server

Ralf Christmann rchristmann at zh.unipektin.ch
Wed Jun 2 11:47:57 GMT 1999

Hello,

I know I should get rid of the problem by my own, but unfortunally I failed.
So I ask:
I`ve a subnet of win9x and WinNT clients connecting to our Linux file
server (no more servers in this subnet)
via samba 2.02. All win95 can see and mount services of the Samba server.
But win98 and WinNT can only see the server but can not connect to a service.
I`ve no encryption and security= user in the smb.conf. I`ve imported the
recommended NT4..reg to  the win98 and NT clients and
set a logon.bat in the autostart to connect to the server automatically as
recommended, too in the WinNT.txt.
The logon.bat is something like this: net use //servername/service.
I`m asked for a password. Although encryption is set to PlainPasswords in
the clients the password is not right.
Always the error 86 occurs.

Any hints?

Is it possible to turn on encryption and serve win95 and win98 clients at
the same time?