[SuSE Linux] Samba 2.0.3 and win95/8

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Jun 1 18:58:30 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Samy Elashmawy <samelash at ix.netcom.com>
carved some runes like this:

> 1st / if I disable file and print sharing on the win 98 machine m save and
> exit , the linux server comes up in the network nieborhood. Real sweet ,
> as long as its turned off.
>
> HOWEVER turn it back on , and it disapears. No longer there.

All I can say is, this doesn't happen with win98 and samba 1.9.18p8
(at least not on our small LAN).  AFAIK, our win98 machine does
*not* have any of the M$ updates installed yet; does yours?  It
looks like it's either specific to the new linux kernel/samba 2.x,
or your samba/linux configuration is still goofy.  Are you running
the samba binary from your SuSe distribution, or did you compile it
yourself? (always better to do the latter, IMHO)

Steve