Benchmarking

Mark E Drummond drummond-m at rmc.ca
Tue Jun 1 17:07:32 GMT 1999

I am trying to do some simple benchmarking of my samba servers. This
stems from looking at the various socket options. I've been using FTP
and smbclient to measure the time required to transfer a large (~80MB)
file from my machine to the server and back.

Does anyone have any experience in measuring this stuff? My initial
results show FTP being much faster but of course there are likely many
issues. Many people are using SMB on the servers while few people are
using FTP. I like to hear other people's ideas on how to do this.

Mark E Drummond                    Royal Military College of Canada
drummond-m at rmc.ca                                Computing Services
Linux Uber Alles                                        perl || die

       ...there are two types of command interfaces in the world of
                    computing: good interfaces and user interfaces.
                                   - Dan Bernstein, Author of qmail

PGP Fingerprint = 503D A72D AF41 2AD1 D433 C514 98D9 9A39 B25A 2405