W98:No logon

Stephen Davies scldad at sdc.com.au
Tue Jun 1 11:18:57 GMT 1999

Hello.

This is not strictly a Samba question but this is the only list I know where
people know anything beyond the trivial about MS networking, and the box in
question _is_ trying to access a Samba server.

One of my clients has a bunch of W95 and W98 boxes happily using a Linux Samba
(2.0.3) server.

They have just acquired a new W98 box which can access the server using any
TCP/IP service EXCEPT Samba.

The problem is that the MS networking code is never loaded on the PC because
the usual login dialog box is not displayed at startup.

Apparently there is an option somewhere in W98 that allows a user to "cancel"
logins and this results in W98 choosing to not load any of the SMB networking code.

My problem is to find a way of reversing this "cancellation". It is probably a
registry setting somewhere but so far, I have not been able to find out where.

Any ideas?

Cheers and thanks,
Stephen Davies