Shares within Shares

Mike Oswell oswell at xcert.com
Fri Jul 30 21:10:35 GMT 1999

Is it possible to have a share within a share, or to force group on
directories within a share?

What I am trying to do is set up departmental shares, but find that having
them all in the root list of shares looks messy (too many shares :P )

What would be preferable, would be to have a [departments] share, then put
a share for each department within that share.

Just using directories within that share is not good enough, and I need to
access read/write access to each directory seperatly depending on a user
being a member of the correct group.  This would be easy enough, but I
also need to be able to force newly created files to be grouped to the
correct departmental group.

ie.

-- [from /etc/group] --
support:*:120:john,frank,joe
staff:*:95:john,frank,joe

-- [from /etc/passwd] --
john:*:125:95:John Doe:/home/john:/bin/bash

-- [from smb.conf] --
[Departments]
	comment 		= Departmental Shares
	path			= /usr/local/shares/departments
	browsable               = yes
        writable                = yes
        valid users             = @staff
        admin users             = @admin
        create mask             = 0770
        directory mode          = 0770

% ls -la /usr/local/shares/departments

total 3
drwxrwx---  11 root  smbadmin  512 Jul 29 15:18 ./
drwxr-xr-x   8 root  smbadmin  512 Jul 30 00:47 ../
drwxrwx---   2 root  support   512 Jul 29 15:09 support/

If a support person goes and creates a file in the support directory, it
will be grouped to 'staff'.  I also am not willing to make each user's
primary group be that of their department. :)

I am not sure how well I explained this, so please email me if it doesn't
make sense or you aren't sure what I am asking. :)

Comments? Ideas?

-----
Michael Oswell
Xcert International Inc.